10 reasons you should join
Here are just 10 reasons you should join Edinburgh Mavericks:
1. With the wide variety of socials on offer you’ll be able to give up complete control of your social life. In the past few years we’ve had Mexican Night, Karaoke, Messy Halloween, Egg Painting and a Scavenger Hunt to name a few. There are also ad-hoc socials like trips to the cinema, the pub and bowling.
2. If you’re single it’s a great chance to meet someone that someone special.
3. If you’re in a couple it’s one of very few sports you can do together. As they say, the couple that korfs together stays together.
4. No matter what your relationship status it’s a great way to make lots of friends. We’re a friendly bunch and you’ll immediately be welcomed into a larger korfball family that’s spread out across the world (Even at Mavs we have players from Scotland, England, Ireland, Jersey, Yorkshire, France and the Netherlands)!
5. You’ll get to wear a really sexy, fresh purple shirt. Or on away days, an equally sexy, fresh Macaw shirt...
6. Mavs travel all across Scotland competing in the Scottish Korfball League and playing in tournaments such as the St Andrews Beach Tournament. There’s also an annual summer tour to the DES Tournament in the Netherlands.
7. As most people don’t start playing until university at the earliest it’s a great beginner sport and very easy to pick-up. The club has a number of Scotland’s most qualified coaches who’re all passionate about teaching the sport.
8. Mavs have a number of teams suitable for players of any level. Our top teams contain international players and compete for the Scottish League Title and aim to compete in Europe’s premier club competition The Europa Cup whilst other teams and tournaments are designed to help players learn the sport.
9. Korfball is great for fitness and unlike other sports it takes place all year round with the indoor season lasting August – May before we head outside.
10. It’s cheap! Membership fee covers hall hire, insurance and all equipment needed for the whole of the indoor season (2x 1.5 hour training session per week AND all league matches AND tournament entry fees). All you have to do is bring yourself and a sensible pair of sport shoes.